Purpose: Certain accessory structures may be converted to or developed for residential dwelling uses to promote efficient use of land. This section allows accessory dwelling units (ADUs) with standards to ensure that they do not change the residential character of the principal use. This provides affordable living options in prescribed zoning districts, while protecting their character and maintaining compatibility between uses. Examples of living arrangements for ADUs include seniors occupying a second family living unit or apartment, or families with elderly parents unable to live completely alone.
1. This section applies to any accessory dwelling unit (“ADU”).
2. An ADU is a dwelling unit that is accessory to a principal single-family dwelling unit on the same lot. This includes a building or part of a building that provides complete independent living facilities for one (1) or more people, including a kitchen, living room, bathroom, and bedroom, and that is:
4. An ADU may be:
a. Constructed as a new building; or
c. Adapted from a portion of the principal dwelling unit.
5. Only one (1) ADU is allowed on a lot.
B. ADU Examples
1. The ADU, detached or attached, must be set back at least six (6) feet behind the front of the principal structure and set back at least ten (10) feet from the rear lot lines. This does not apply to ADUs located within the interior of an existing principal structure.
2. The ADU must conform to side yard setbacks.
4. The architectural style of the ADU must conform to the architectural style and materials of the principal structure.
5. ADUs must not exceed a gross floor area of one thousand (1,000) square feet or more than fifty (50) percent of the principal structure’s floor area, whichever is less, or have more than two (2) bedrooms.
8. The ADU must meet current building code requirements.
9. The ADU must obtain a separate address to help guarantee emergency response.
2. Exceptions to the size, location, and architectural style requirements of this section may be approved by the Planning Official.