1. Words used in the present tense include the future tense, words used in the singular include the plural, words used in the plural include the singular, words importing the masculine gender include the feminine and neuter, the words "shall" and "must" are mandatory, the words "may" and "should" are permissive, the word "building" includes the word "structure," and the term "used for" includes "designed for," or "intended for," or "maintained for," and "occupied for."
2. Unless specifically provided, in computing any period of time prescribed or allowed by this ordinance, the day of the act, event, or default from which the designated period of time begins to run shall not be included. The last day of the period so computed is to be included, unless it is Saturday, Sunday or a legal holiday, in which event the period runs unless specifically provided, in computing any period of time prescribed or allowed by this ordinance, the day of the act, event, or default from which the designated period of time begins to run shall not be included. When the period of time prescribed or allowed is less than seven (7) days, intermediate Saturdays, Sundays and legal holidays shall be excluded in the computation. A half-holiday shall be considered as other days and not as a holiday. "Legal holiday" includes any day designated as a holiday by the Congress of the United States or by the Kansas legislature. Whenever a notice, petition or other document is required to be filed within a specified time period, the notice, petition or document must be filed with the appropriate City official or in the appropriate City office not later than 5:00 PM on the last day of the period as computed.
3. Where this ordinance permits or requires an act on the part of an "owner" or "landowner," and a particular lot or tract of land is owned by several persons, whether in joint tenancy, tenancy in common, partnership, joint venture or other form of joint ownership, the act shall be taken on behalf of, and with the express consent of, all such persons.
4. Any reference to a statute, provision of the Olathe City Code, other laws or regulations, reference documents, technical manuals, or other documents refer to the most recent versions of those documents, including any amendments or updates to the statute, City Code, law, regulation, or other document.
B. Explanatory Materials
The following elements of the UDO are provided for explanatory purposes and for the convenience of the reader. They are not binding, and do not supersede mandatory standards and procedures:
1. This document includes graphics (such as drawings, diagrams, photographs, and images) to help the reader understand the text. If there is a conflict between a graphic and the text, the text applies.
2. Where a zoning district provides examples of permitted uses, these do not supersede the permitted uses shown in the Use Matrix (§ 18.16.500). If there is a conflict between the examples of permitted uses and the Use Matrix, the Use Matrix applies.